Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Intros and Hello's!

I do a lot of Google-ing about my dogs.  Life is crazy and constantly changing, and I don't have all the answers (don't tell my husband I said that, I've got a good thing going there...).  Even though I search all the time, I don't find everything I'm looking for.  Often it's close, but not right on. 

So, my solution is to put it all out there.  Suggestions and comments are welcome, as well as anything that you are looking for advice on!

I'm not an expert.  I'm not a professional.  But, I have two crazy dogs that I can't get enough of, and a lot of adventures and questions that I'd love to share!

 


Our introduction: 

Ruby (the dark brown with the white) and Willy (the scruffy tan) are both mystery mutts.  We adopted Willy first as a puppy, and Ruby about 6 months later.  They were instantly best friends. 

They're both about 2 years old now.  We've come a long way with training, but we've got a long way to go!  They know a lot of commands, but we've got a lot to teach still.  Our biggest issues are barking and jumping. 

We have been living in a house with a fenced back yard for the past two years, which has been AMAZING for them to play.  We're moving about two hours away next month, and our only option for the moment is an apartment until we buy a 2nd home in a year.  So, for the next month, we're focusing on the barking. I don't want to be THAT neighbor, the one with the barking dogs.

I've been reinforcing good behavior when there are dogs on TV - this is one of our biggest issues.  They run up to the screen and give the dog on TV hell, and then they run around the other side of the wall, in the other room, and look for him, while still barking.

I've been giving bits of food when they stay quiet when there's an animal on TV, and it seems to be working.  Definitely not 100% though.

Does anyone have any advice?  Have you tackled this problem?

Until next time,

Naomi, Ruby, and Willy


No comments:

Post a Comment